Sound is healing. And one particular sound is more healing than any other: the sound of your own voice.
In this revelatory and revolutionary conversation, Voice Doula Kaitlin June and I dive into the healing power of our voices and why it’s so darn scary to uncage them.
You’ll also get a first-ever listen to some of our behind the scenes secrets that we speak into existence before recording every single show.
Topics Covered with Kaitlin June
- How Kaitlin’s work with the voice began
- Why is her southern accent is non-existent according to her schoolmates
- Singing out in the woods and talking with her guides or imaginary friends as a child
- The moment that Kaitlin felt the spirit when she started singing in a gospel choir
- How Kaitlin understood the roots of gospel music
- How sound can be healing
- The role of expectations on how we sound to others
- What are some of the foundational practices that Kaitlin offers
- How successful singers achieve their success by sounding horrible
- Why vocal work has been crucial for Lola in the past year
- How can emotion connect the singer to the listener
- Why is it wrong to think that singing is only something for those anointed with it
- What happens when Lola hums with the sound of the vacuum cleaner
- How Lola learned that harmony in our bodies feels a certain way.
- When two notes come together they create something bigger
- How the impetus for change can be described in the note intervals
- How are we going to resolve the White Supremacist Heteronormative Culture vibration and frequency within us
- Doing your spiritual and activist work can go together
- How’s Kaitlin experience in developing theater pieces at the Art Monastery Project in Vermont
- Kaitlin sings Listen to the Tree
- Who are the people Kaitlin’s music is for
Kaitlin June (she/they) is the queer, Gospel-loving, sassy Southern songcatcher here to help you sing your soul. It is their deep honor to support and empower public speakers, ceremonial facilitators and visionary musicians embody their voices and empower their audiences through sacred vocal work. As a 5X Scorpio, Kaitlin brings just the right mix of fun, focused play and deep, illuminating fire to their path as a voice doula and artivist. As a ceremonial theater creatrix and prayerformer they are committed to singing in an interconnected culture rooted in joy and justice.